I attended the new members class with my wife. No, I won’t be joining, but if I’ll attend Catholic confirmation classes with a college girlfriend, I don’t see why I wouldn’t do this much.
Following are my (out-of-context) notes from the class, in the order they appear in the handout, which is not the order in which they were recorded. My thoughts (as noted) are in italics. Quotes are verbatim. Out of quotes generally a summary or paraphrase.
- Brand New Class – Never Done Before
- [Adam and Eve] 1st temptation “was pride.” –No. First sin is believing a lie.
- [Underlined in quote of Saul of Tarsus], “Last of all as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.” Terminal prophet claim.
- “Good news is good news… because bad news comes first.”
- “We are all born into sin.”
- [Discussion of Gandhi] “Not here to tell you where Gandhi is today.” LOL!
- Roman Road
- Because of sin… “we are enemies of God.”
- [Saddleback guy (another attendee) responds] : “Putin scares me.”
- [paraphrased] “You can’t forgive somebody by yourself. You’ll eventually start to resent that person.”
- “[God’s] plan has always been for God to glorify himself.”
- “It would be appropriate for God to separate from us.”
- [Jesus death] “is satisfaction of our debt to God.”
- “What aspect [of this] leads you to a place of worship? Or does it?”
- [bad paraphrase]: Lots of discussion of “sinner’s prayer” & no real re-orientation to Jesus –> transformation
- “Moses and David” = “lesser men.” [edit: no, I’m not lying, he really said a man raised in Pharaoh’s household and a man that kills lions mostly unarmed are each “lesser men.”]
- Saved by grace alone [edit: this was in regard to (erroneous) discussion of Catholic theology.]
- “People w/ angry mad look haven’t accepted Christ.” -Saddleback guy.
- “You are living according to the Spirit or you are living according to the flesh.” … “At the end of time, things of flesh are consumed.”
- “True relationship to God through Jesus Christ.”
- [From discussion of illustration] “Connection to God and to one another. Transformation of life. Multiplication.”
- [quoted with applied underline] “Everything we teach and do at [this church] must be rooted in this Gospel message so that it may be faithfully shared by our people at home and across the world.”
- [from faith statement] “…crucified under Pontius Pilate…” historical assertion.
That’s all, folks. Comments welcome.