“Stick out your tongue,” he said.
Her heart beat faster, but she did.
“Now stay there on your hands and knees, eyes forward, while I retrieve something.”
He walked behind her. The floorboards creaked and the cabinet doors clattered. She heard him tear at some plastic and then heard a long knife “slick” out of the block she knew lay behind her on the countertop. “Thock, thock,” struck the knife against a cutting board. She heard him turn round and then saw the knife beside her on the butcher’s block.
“Close your eyes.”
Then it was on her tongue: chocolate.
First off, I updated my previous post regarding Reason in the Rock 2012. Go see.
This year’s Reason in the Rock looks to be better than 2012. Here’s a tentative list of speakers, obtained by extreme subterfuge.
- Jerry DeWitt – Former Pastor, Author of “Hope After Faith” [Jerry is the nicest guy on planet earth. This is the kind of person Christians think they’re talking about when they speak about Jesus. I KNOW the guy’s not perfect, but it’s hard to remember that while you’re with him.]
- Dr. Johnny Stine – Biologist, Owner of the Seattle biotech firm North Coast Biologics (cancer research)
- Kyle Sanders & Ben Bell – Little Rock’s “Skeptics in the Pub” [See Ben discuss Sake here.]
- David Silverman – American Atheists President [David is not my favorite person, but it’s impossible to deny the long-term work of American Atheists under his leadership.]
- Dr. Darrel Ray – Founder of Recovering From Religion, Author of “The God Virus” and “Sex & God” [If you’re one of those folks in the “sex-positive movement” you must meet this guy.]
- Dan Barker – Co-President of the Freedom From Religion Foundation [FFrF is infamous for suing schools over various church-state violations. I love/hate these guys and look forward to his discussion of issues.]
- Matt Dillahunty – host of “The Atheist Experience” [In my opinion, this is the most important atheist at the grass-roots level of the movement.]
- Phil Ferguson – Co-host of “The Pink Atheist Podcast,” Board Member of the Secular Student Alliance
- Rachel Johnson – Co-host of “The Pink Atheist Podcast,” Blogger at “The Godless Vagina” on WordPress.com
- Blair Scott – co-host of “The Critical Eye” podcast
Sam Singleton, Atheist Evangelist [Sam might not make it to the conference.]
- Greta Schiller – Film maker of “No Dinosaurs in Heaven”
- Lecia Brooks – Director of Outreach at the Southern Poverty Law Center [Please join several conservative atheists planning to grill Ms. Brooks during the question period.]
- Dr. Jason Wiles – Biologist
The above list is the tip of the iceberg. Tentative local political speakers are in the works, lots more “skeptic” speakers in the works, and, first time this year, vendors!
My spy will attend the next meeting of the planning committee, so I hope to issue another update by the end of the week.